employer tax responsibilities and benefits
September 13, 2021
IRS highlights employer tax responsibilities and benefits during National Small Business WeekThe Internal Revenue Service joins the Small Business Administration in support of its National Small Business Week. The IRS will issue numerous online materials that focus on getting small business owners the information they need to comply with filing and paying requirements.
This year, as part of its ongoing effort to help eligible people access Advance Child Tax Credit payments, the IRS will be encouraging employers to help spread the word about these payments during Small Business Week. The IRS knows that employers have direct access to many people who may be eligible for the credit. The IRS has materials for employers and others who can help spread the word available on the IRS website at 2021 Child Tax Credit and Advance Child Tax Credit Payments: Resources and Guidance.
Other IRS Small Business Week highlights include:
- IRS news releases beginning September 13 on the following topics:
- Employer responsibilities
- Employee vs. independent contractor
- Work Opportunity Tax Credit
- Employment tax compliance
- Expanded tax benefits
- A special Small Business Week page on the IRS Video Portal featuring videos and recorded webinars of interest to small businesses and the self-employed.
- A new Publication 5557, A Guide to Starting a Small Business.
- IRS’s increased multilingual outreach – the IRS offers tax information in multiple languages. IRS.gov pages have links to any available translations on the right side, just below the title. Languages currently available include Spanish, Chinese simplified and traditional, Korean, Russian, Vietnamese and Haitian-Creole.
- An IRS virtual booth at the Small Business Administration’s Virtual Summit conference.
Helpful IRS resources for small businesses and the self-employed:
- The Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center provides a variety of resources, forms and tools in Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Russian and Haitian Creole. The Center includes a Self-Employed Individuals Tax Center, information on independent contractors vs. employees, filing and paying your business taxes and more.
- The Gig Economy Tax Center is a resource for people who earn income providing on-demand work, services or goods.
- The Online Learning and Educational Products page has tools to help taxpayers learn at their own pace such as the Small Business Virtual Tax Workshop.
- The IRS YouTube Video Channel has videos for small businesses on the Small Business playlist.